Sunday, December 20, 2009

What are you thankful for this season?


I'm thankful that I didn't give up on barbecue after many miserable failures early on.

I'm thankful that I found pellet cookers in the beginning, after starting out cooking on what was a great grill, but a mediocre smoker at best.

I’m thankful that Florida and Arizona barbecue judges recognize when barbecue is good, regardless of regional preferences.

I’m thankful my old truck hung in there this year, especially during the last six weeks of the season when we traveled almost 13,000 miles.

I’m thankful for my brisket and rib suppliers, and no, I’m not going to name them here.

I’m thankful that Iowa’s Smokey D’s BBQ decide to lay out for five weeks near the end of the season, really thankful.

I'm thankful for Kathy S., without whom I would be required to endure the Chief's miserable season in person with The Closer.

I’m thankful fuel wasn't $4.96 per gallon this year, like it was on the east coast in late June of 2008.

I’m thankful my wife lets me continue to do what I love, despite me always having this feeling I should grow up and get a real job.

I’m thankful that I Smell Smoke only cooked 21 contests this year, more thankful than you'll know.

I’m thankful for our major sponsor Greased Lightning and all of our sponsors, who without them, we could not travel the country cooking and competing,

I’m thankful for the all folks who believe we might have something interesting to say and so attended our classes this past year.

I'm thankful that Johnny Trigg taught me to cook on a traditional offset that fall weekend in 2005 and has continued to help me over the years.

I'm thankful Ribdog and Henway were able to help me out while I was on the road in Florida and Arizona.

I'm thankful Steph is so diligent in organizing those potluck dinners at contests. Otherwise, I might go hungry on Friday night.

I’m very thankful for all the great people I have met because of barbecue and now call friends, no, good friends.

Most importantly, I’m thankful for the support of my wife, family and friends. Without them, none of this barbecue stuff would have been possible.

What are you thankful for? Merry Christmas everyone! Wishing you and yours the best this holiday season.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a very nice post, Rod! So many blessings, huh?!?
Amy Mills

Colins Creek Barbecue said...

I'm thankful that we uncovered the truth about Coopers. Hope to see you in Memphis.