Monday, July 21, 2008

Forecast: Freezing Rain in Hades


It's just speculation, but it must be pretty cold in hell. After all, we've won chicken each of the last two weekends. It's no secret that our weakness in the four main categories is yard bird. We've struggled with that category for as long as I can remember. So, what's different? Very little except this: We've added The Slabs.com Birds & Bones Stephy Style Chicken and Rib Rub to our arsenal. Honestly, I hope you don't try it. After all, it makes for less competition in the Chicken category. However, it's the one major change I've made to my chicken that has kicked it up a notch. Why would I try something different? Because our current chicken was so hit and miss. In the mortal words of Obie Obermeyer of Obie Cue fame, "(I don't) believe that any rub will win in the hands of (a) bad cook---cooks win cookoffs-not hardware (or) spices---but I do think that (good products) can give you a small edge which is all a good cook needs sometimes. Why this product? It doesn't take rocket science to look around the competition circuit and see who's doing well in a category, then try what you know they're using, and since Parrothead wasn't talking . . . . . . . . . .By the way, I have no connection to The Slabs.com other than that I love the new rub! Why would I tell everyone what we've changed? Because it's easier to post it than answer all of the e-mails asking that question. Should I be on the Slabs payroll? Damn straight, but I doubt that happens.

I think the dog days of summer are upon us. Everybody keep cool and keep cookin'. See you all somewhere on the bbq trail.

No comments: