Thursday, June 26, 2008

Grumpy old man . . . .

So, I sort of promised myself this blog would be a once or twice a week thing, and I would try not to just post random thoughts. However, this short story is worth telling . . .

I ran to the store this evening to get ice for the weekend. It's been a short week and that trip to D. C. and back took it's toll. It doesn't help that the plan is to cook the Great Lenexa BBQ Battle and cater at a different location for a couple hundred people on Saturday night. Anyway, when I get to the store I discover that Hy-vee, following the lead of the oil companies only in a less intelligent way because they didn't even bother to take down the old price or hide it properly, just cover it with a store made sign taped on the top side so it looks more like a prop for the Price Is Right, has jacked up the price for ice. Rolling my eyes and muttering under my breath, I grab what I need and quickly roll my cart into the express lane where I'm third in line. When it's finally my turn, I hand the young girl one of my six 20 lb. bags of ice so she can scan it and tell her my quantity, to which she quickly responds, "Are you eligible for the discount?" I'm confused. Discount? I'm thinking there must be some deal this week if you buy over priced ice in quantity, but that just doesn't sound right. So, I ask her, "the discount?" She replies, "Yes, the fifty-five and over discount." Honestly, I was floored. Can you imagine me speechless? I know, I know . . . . My mother taught me never to answer a question with a question, but in that instant it just came out. I quizzed her back, "Well, I'm pretty tired today, but do I really look that old?" That was all the answer she needed.

You all should have heard Sheri cackle when I told her that story at dinner tonight. Time to turn in for a good nights sleep in hopes that I can turn the clock back a few years before the long weekend.

1 comment:

McSwiggin a.k.a Ed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.