Thursday, January 24, 2008

Another Three Years . . . .




Saturday at the KCBS Awards Banquet I learned that my bid for re-election to the Board of Directors was successful. Many people felt the results were a foregone conclusion. I most certainly did not. This year's group of candidates included many great choices for the available four seats. Unfortunately, the election process for the board is mostly a popularity contest though. I believe the key goal of electing new members to the board should be to add skill sets that best help KCBS, especially in our time of growth. One disappointment was not seeing John Markus elected to the board. I contribute his limited exposure to our barbeque family as the sole reason for this. If you've ever even met John, you almost instantly feel his true passion for barbeque. John's diverse professional experiences plus the way he treats both strangers and friends alike, would make him a big, big asset to our board. Hopefully, John will view this year's campaign as a learning experience and run for the board next year. He would truly be an asset for KCBS as we venture into new territory.


I expect the next three years to be even harder than the last three. We're experiencing such significant growing pains in competition barbeque that it is difficult to make all of the right decisions and keep the membership as informed as they want to be. The electronic age is a factor. Everyone expects everything "now." Sometimes it's just not possible. Did you know the board is made up of twelve volunteers? Did you know the KCBS office is made up of an Executive Director, two full time employees and two part time employees? Just checking.


I thank each and every one of you who supported me in this year's election. It is a bit overwhelming to me. I will do my level best to keep the membership at the forefront of my decision making in the board room. However, please know that whoever said "You can't please all of the people, all of the time" was so very right. No matter what decision is made, somebody somewhere will not be pleased. I'll just apologize to that person now.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?" - George S. Patton

No comments: